Will this marriage last?


Onlinesoph has some excellent reflections on our/my generations approach to marriage and living life. Here's a taster...

These days it seems that young couples, not just celebs, are heading towards shorter marriages out of choice, not desperation. Here are some non-committal vows I recently discovered on the net in what I like to call ‘choose-your-own-adventure’ style weddings:

“I promise to be as loyal as long as our love lasts.”
“I’ll be with you until our time together is over.”
(more here)

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 11:32 am  

mmmmm...this sort of marriage sounds pretty feeble to me.

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 1:33 pm  

I don't recall where, but there is a website out there where people vote on how long marriages will last based on a picture of the couple.

an indictment on our times.

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 1:34 pm  

someone told me that those sort of vows aren't recognised legally. i don't know anything about it though

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 11:01 pm  

Actually, the minister talked about this in the marriage preparation class I attended recently.

No, such a marriage would not be legal in Australia - the celebrant should recognise this. I believe the legal definition of marriage is "the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life."

Post a Comment