Thumbsucker

Thumbsucker came to me via a second hand recommendation from Slo. I enjoyed the interesting insights into teenage identity, the flawed central character and distinct air of artiness. I do however think the teenangst movie is getting to be a well trodden path. (Garden State and Donnie Darko did it much better).

The story revolves around Justin Clobb a thumb sucking confused teenager. Thumbsucking is his way of dealing with the difficult things in life. He is confronted with a number of strategies with which he seeks to deal with his teen angst including prescription drugs, pot and sex.
Philosophy of this film was frustrating. To me it seemed Justin underwent very little in the way of transformation. Rather the message seemed to be “It’s ok to experiment with sex drugs etc if they help you to discover and accept who you really are.”

As a Christian I think very differently. My identity and whole ethical framework are driven by the revelation that God runs and controls our universe. When I try to improve myself through self experimentation, I realise just how far short of God’s standards I fall. I need him to renew me from the inside giving me an identity and purpose that go beyond the superficiality of this world.

(three out of five funky chickens)

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 7:36 pm  

I think that's quite a good analysis and reflection Mike.

Anonymous said... 6/25/2006 12:54 pm  

I like Donny Darko. I can relate to him in some ways (although I don't get the time travel stuff).

Anonymous said... 6/25/2006 12:56 pm  

I agree with JK. A good reflection.

Anonymous said... 6/26/2006 12:13 pm  

"My identity and whole ethical framework are driven by the revelation that God runs and controls our universe. When I try to improve myself through self experimentation, I realise just how far short of God’s standards I fall. I need him to renew me from the inside giving me an identity and purpose that go beyond the superficiality of this world."

Woohooooo!!! Well put!

Post a Comment