A little rant...

Today I got a bill. A very big bill. A very very big bill.

I owe $20,426 for my uni education.

One thing I couldn’t help but notice is that HECS is now called HELP. I’m sorry but I can’t help but be a cynical. Perhaps the name HECS was bad PR maybe its alliterative nature sounded nasty. Why the name change? Often it feels like government departments reinvent the wheel every couple of years... “I know if we change the name (at the taxpayers’ expense) we’ll seem so much nicer and friendlier.” OR “If we change the name and make it sound more sexy people will actually want to pay the money back.”

I know I feel sooo much better owing 20 grand to a Scheme called HELP... Grrrr

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 1:28 am  

$20 000 via taxes. Or $20 000 via HELP.

Either way, you pay! :)

I'm still paying mine. Finished 15 years ago.

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 1:32 am  

You all don't have socialized education?

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 2:13 pm  

'socialized' education?? What is that? ( clearly not :))

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 2:28 pm  

CK, primary and secondary are free. Tertiary used to be free, but they are charging more and more for it each year.

The government still pays around 70% of the cost, but you are now required to pay back the other 30% or so over your working life...

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 3:11 pm  

What exactly does the "cost" cover? Lecturers' time? Heating costs for the lecture theatres? I'm curious.

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 4:41 pm  

don't worry jolly, I opened up my Help statement, and it's at $37,025, with more to come.

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 4:49 pm  

one word... HELP

Anonymous said... 6/24/2006 6:39 pm  

Shiloh - the total cost of running the university.

Anonymous said... 6/25/2006 11:52 pm  

shiloh - "Heating costs for the lecture theatres?"

nah! it all goes to heating costs for the morris miller!

Anonymous said... 6/26/2006 2:46 pm  

When Craig says: "Primary and Secondary are 'free'", he means 'at tax-payers expense’.

Live here in the States for a while, and someone'll let you know that nothing is free.

Especially at a GOP convention at election time.

Anonymous said... 6/26/2006 10:02 pm  

Good point justin

Anonymous said... 6/27/2006 8:35 am  

The way HECS (now HELP - I noticed it too the other day... only $16, 500 to go for me, yay!) works is that the gov. pays for your university education and the amount it costs is retrieved via your tax (or you can pay it all off in one go and save some money). It accrues a small amount of interest (in line with inflation) and you only have to pay it once you reach a certain income threshold.

Also - if you die, the debt doesn't get passed on to your next of kin.

Post a Comment