David Rhodes Scam*

I got this letter in the mail. It had no return address on the back.

Hmmm that’s strange thought as I opened it

"Hi I’m David Rhodes…"
What a nice friendly bloke. He went on to claim I could get $70,000 just by sending $10 to one person and mailing out 200 more letters.
“After you have sent $10 in the post to a complete stranger something eerie happens. It gives you an indescribable overwhelming sense of certainty, belief and conviction in this system.”

Said the letter. "Wow" I thought "I want to feel good!"



And they even give a formula so you can see it really works…

So I googled my new friend David Rhodes…. (click here) Ouch!
Then googled report scam (click here)
Rang up the hotline (1300 654 499)

They asked me to post the letter to them for their records


Happy to oblige. Then I emailed the only email address in the letter. I’m still waiting to hear back. I'm sorry David Rhodes but you get the "stupid award" for this one.

*Scams are highly illegal in Australia (see here)

 

5 comments:

mike said... 4/29/2007 2:44 pm  

And yes Seumas it was my day off...

The Borg said... 4/29/2007 9:08 pm  

...bugger.

Jonny said... 4/30/2007 6:37 pm  

I had a similar letter. It was a chain letter where you are ment to add your name to a list, and give $10 or so to someone on the bottom of the list. I was going to visit these people and smack them on the head for being so silly but the only Hobart address was a PO Box.

Nick said... 4/30/2007 10:29 pm  

Of course those letters are nonsense etc but its amazing the rush of excitement you get by just believing it for a moment...

jeltzz said... 5/01/2007 8:34 am  

Actually, the logic of such particular types of scams is perfectly sound. All it does though is redistribute wealth. If everyone responded to these continually, then there would be an endless reshuffling of money (and an increase in postage stamp sales).

Post a Comment