Coffee "battle"

My brother Dave and his mate Scott “battled*" today making coffees. Dave has a Rancilio Silva and with a Rocky grinder. Scott has the cheaper but equally good Sunbeam also with matching grinder. Here are some of the pictures.







While they are still getting to know the art we are planning to have a coffee session soon and invite people. Well that's my plan anyway. I'll keep you posted.

supportMIKE is on a coffee high.


*In this context "battle" refers to something like a Hip Hop battle where the rappers try to outdo each other in mixing songs. NB. The word “battling” can also refer to an act of perseverance OR the activity of doing something. For example the act of being on MSN at 12am could be described as “Battling solidly on MSN”. I am dedicated to Josh and Feebs for this definition of battling.

 

14 comments:

Anonymous said... 8/20/2006 10:57 pm  

That is absolutely fantastic. Next time you should video the whole thing, like an iron-chef competition maybe. And you can do dub-overs in Japanese, or maybe in italian (to be fair).

Anonymous said... 8/20/2006 11:12 pm  

Hahahaha jolly i just realised that you aren't battling msn 2nite, its like only 11 what going on? (I assume battling was explained for our American friends)

Anonymous said... 8/21/2006 12:30 am  

Ooooh...love Iron Chef! Mike, that is one delicious looking coffee.

Anonymous said... 8/21/2006 9:32 am  

"Battling" is used to fight against the odds, even in battling some coffee.

Anonymous said... 8/21/2006 10:12 am  

Battling is life, really.

Scott and Dave look as fastidious and meticulous as real barristas.

Anonymous said... 8/21/2006 10:20 am  

I think it's just a phase ... Dave will be wanting to weave baskets next.

Anonymous said... 8/21/2006 1:59 pm  

Who said i'm not weaving baskets already? And wait until you see my knitting efforts. I might even make someone a scarf...

Anonymous said... 8/21/2006 3:36 pm  

Can you make hot chocolates with coffe machines. Grind up blocks of chocolate with the coffee grinder...might be a little messy.But would it still be a battle if chocolate were involved.

Anonymous said... 8/21/2006 4:13 pm  

LOL

I'd be keen to try that.

Anonymous said... 8/21/2006 7:42 pm  

The follow-through was clearly way too fast in the photo of the coffee you posted. Slow down the pour at the end if you want the leaves to stay more perpendicular to the stem on a rosetta... Just a tip...

Anonymous said... 8/22/2006 12:59 pm  

Nice! Have you seen this video? Amazing stuff!

Anonymous said... 8/22/2006 3:40 pm  

Could you knit me a pink polo shirt Dave?

Anonymous said... 8/22/2006 6:19 pm  

Another one M@? That'll be the third one I've made for you this month. Canberra certainly has changed you ; )

Anonymous said... 9/02/2006 3:55 am  

(Gasp!)

That coffee is BEAUTIFUL! How'd they learn to make such great "latte art"? Learn me how! Learn me how!

I just started working at a Starbucks here in Louisville... I'm OBSESSED, I tell you...

(By the way: "Hi, Mike... I'm Jen: one of Christine's friends." Very much looking forward to meeting you in November...) Blessings!

Post a Comment