Crisis... well sort of

I had a minor crisis today. I was lying on bed thinking and praying about people and stuff more generally. Suddenly I realised that by the time I've finished MTS I'll be 28. Twenty freaking Eight! Sheesh it sounds old. While it's not really that old, I think it seems old cause there are a number of things that I had planned to have done by then. Not so much things on paper more ideas in my head. Firstly be married to some nice Christian girl. Secondly have a sustainable permanent fulltime job to support said nice Christian girl. I had also aimed to generally have sorted out my life.

The problem is that these things (certainly the first two) aren't likely to work themselves out over my time doing MTS. My thinking at the moment (taking into account my mental state) is that MTS plus relationship equals total disaster. I'd hate to spend a year down the crapper trying to get over another broken relationship leaving me with little time for anything else.

So that makes me 28 when I meet this nice single Christian chick. Allowing two years for us to go out and get engaged (too fast by my standards). That gets me to 30... and makes me around 35 when I have kids. Too old in my book. I had older parents all my life and it definitely makes things difficult. I always pictured my self as a young Dad with heaps of energy... anyway I digress.

The latter (job issue) is simply not practical. Compounding this problem is that I'm not sure what mental condition I'll be in post MTS. I'm also not sure what type of job I'm going to go for either. At the moment stress and depression is close to ruling out fulltime teaching. So what on earth else can I do that’s low stress and high pay?

Don't get me wrong I'm still pumped for doing MTS next year, it's just maybe I'm realising what a sacrifice it really will be. Maybe I hadn't thought about the implications enough.

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said... 5/26/2006 8:55 am  

welcome to reality. you should come hang out in the Corridor - 27-30y.o. single guys all struggling with this very issue. Al says "When you turn 30, all the chicks come after you".

-claytonius

Anonymous said... 5/26/2006 11:41 am  

Mike, you're such a Puddleglum. We should call you Marshwiggle Mike.

Although, that's not true, because you are pretty positive about other things, like ministry.

Anonymous said... 5/26/2006 3:04 pm  

He hee, Luke amd I called Mike a Mikewiggle last time we saw him! The Isham mind is all-seeing....

Just like puddleglum, despite his cynicism he will never forget "Narnia" i.e the importance of living in the light of the Resurrection.

Anonymous said... 5/26/2006 5:29 pm  

Now I am very interested in marsh wiggles. I have always called your father Puddleglum. And didn't I always say 'Like Father, like son. Maybe I'm more far sighted than you give me credit for. If I had been a "normal" parent, ie ten or fifteen years younger, I'd have jumped on you with my hobnail boots and you'd have ended up FLAT like a couple of your cousins whom you have never met. Just ask your aunt! Moral: In everything give thanks. ( Sorry if it is taken out of context.)

Pollyanna

Anonymous said... 5/27/2006 11:09 am  

Clay the question is how old is Al. Is he speaking from experience past or living in hope of what is yet to come ;)

Anonymous said... 5/28/2006 9:47 am  

But if I don't meet Deadline B ... It's the Protestant Nunnery for me!

Anonymous said... 5/28/2006 9:47 am  

I said I'd be married by 26 ... I'm beginning to think it might need to be pushed back to 30.

Anonymous said... 10/03/2006 9:23 am  

lol! i'm positively MORTIFIED that i wrote that on your blog! I hope you're not 28 when you meet said "nice Christian girl."

2 years?! too fast?!! what are you? a snail?!

; )

Post a Comment