Revelation Singular

I spent an enjoyable evening hanging with Luke and Amy who came round for tea. We ate a sweet and sour stir fry (made by my brother) and Amy cooked a nice Chocolate pudding. Delish

Unfortunately during the evening I was reminded of one of my pet hates. People who say “Revelations” when referring to the book of Revelation. It really gets my goat up. I’ve heard everyone from kids (who don’t know better) to ministers who lead churches use “Revelations” to refer to the book. Ministers who have been to Bible college! Man it’s sooo freaking annoying it makes me want to hit myself. Look it up people! It’s in the Bible... It’s RevelatioN. There is no freaking “S” on the end.

“Oh” you say “Jolly isn’t there more than one revelation in the book though. Can’t we call it Revelations because there are a number of revelations to different churches?”
“Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Revelation 1:1 The opening verse of the book… is surprise, surprise… ‘The revelation of Jesus Christ’ singular. One complete Revelation!

Steady breaths. I think I’m going to drink some chamomile tea to calm down.

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said... 6/10/2006 11:34 pm  

Mike - that is a pet hate of mine too.....I dont have quite as strong as reaction.....but it does irritate me.

Anonymous said... 6/11/2006 4:25 am  

i've never seen a "freakin' S" before.

Anonymous said... 6/11/2006 10:56 am  

Dinner and company were both of a high standard. However don't let readers of this blog be mistaken in their perceptions of the aforementioned evening, other topics were discussed. ;)
--Luke

Anonymous said... 6/11/2006 12:34 pm  

Yes sorry Luke it sounded a little strong. It played a very small part of the evening as whole :). Twas very enjoyable one too.

Anonymous said... 6/11/2006 2:19 pm  

I trust also that it wasn't Luke or Amy who were labouring under this terrible misapprehension. ;)

Often we people talk about "Revelation" I have to ask if they mean the book or the concept. ;)

And yes, it's the Revelation of Jesus Christ, not (primarily) of the future.

Finally, from A Wonderful Time Up There:
Now you get your Holy Bible, in the back of the book,
The book of Revelations is the place you look.
If you understand it, and you can if you try,
The Lord is a-comin' from His throne on high.
A-readin' in the Bible all the things He said,
He said He's comin' back again to raise the dead.
Are you gonna be among the chosen few?
Will you make it through?

Anonymous said... 6/11/2006 2:41 pm  

Sorrys again it wasn't Luke or Amy that thought it was Revelations... it was a random thought.... and Decker you are a evil man ;)... but not in the evil evil sense obviously.

Anonymous said... 6/12/2006 10:44 am  

"However don't let readers of this blog be mistaken in their perceptions of the aforementioned evening, other topics were discussed. ;)"

Yes, ironically, no-one said "Revelations'" the entire evenening..., except Mike ;)

Anonymous said... 6/12/2006 11:09 am  

Yeah, I've worked out what's going on - I do it myself sometimes as well:

"I was with my mate Roger the other day at McDonalds, and I was telling him that..."

Post a Comment