Mike battles the atrium of death

It's a seven o’clock start. JH and I begin with a few shops including Retro café (one of my favorite hang outs).

It’s twelve when we arrive at atrium of death. “Can you just do the roof as well?” she asks looking at the atrium roof about five meters above us. “inside and out?”
Every part of my body is screaming “No!” in a very strong language that isn’t suitable to publish.

Over four hours later we leave with just 170 bucks. That’s really bad money. As a window cleaner you want to earn about 40 plus dollars/hour. We’ve walked away with about half that. I really wanted to charge more (and I reckon I could have gotten away with it) but I'm too nice.

“The bloke across the road was after a quote,” says the nice old lady handing me the cheque. I trudge wearily over to his house I’m in no mood for cheap quotes. a quick walk-around reveals a big job. I’ve run out of patience and I quote the highest price I’m able to based on our formula, $460 to do inside and out. If we get this job at least we’ll be making money. We head home it’s just hit five and I haven’t had lunch. Just another day at the office.

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said... 5/31/2006 12:08 am  

ah...sigh...hobart....sigh

Anonymous said... 5/31/2006 10:04 am  

atriums are generally found in ancient rome.

funny rooms they are. but blessedly lacking the glass involved in your atrium.

Anonymous said... 5/31/2006 10:16 pm  

Michael Jolly, "I am a unique and beautiful flower just like everyone else."

Anonymous said... 5/31/2006 10:25 pm  

stupid flowers I hate them

Anonymous said... 6/01/2006 1:55 pm  

I understand a bit of your frustration. I paint murals on occasion. People don't get how much work it involves. Sometimes I end up doing a job for cheaper than I ought to. Because I'm new at doing this for a business...I'll miscalculate how long it'll take me.

The problem comes when they tell their friends.

Anonymous said... 6/01/2006 4:47 pm  

I used to struggle a bit bit with charging customers but now I think I have a better idea of what my work is worth. Besides it's my body that is slowly breaking down from working hard.

Anonymous said... 6/01/2006 11:32 pm  

I can feel your pain! Painting murals is painful too. You wouldn't think so...but try contorting yourself into odd positions while painting a picket fence behind a toilet for a few hours. I was joking with my last client that I would be sending him my chiropractic bills.

That's one thing I hope to get better at...charging more acurately.

Robertson White said... 12/10/2013 10:22 pm  

Yes it is true, atriums are generally found in ancient rome.

Post a Comment